Summertime means more outdoor activities, picnics, and barbecues, but it also means an influx of pesky bugs! Many store-bought bug repellents are filled with harsh chemicals that can have unwanted side effects, which is why turning to essential oils can be a beneficial and natural option. Join us as we delve into the world of essential oil bug repellents, how they work, and how to create your own effective concoctions.
Essential Oils Bug Repellent Table of Contents
Why Essential Oils Make Great Bug Repellents
Essential oils have long been used for their therapeutic benefits, including their natural ability to deter insects. Here are a few reasons why essential oils make effective bug repellents:
- Natural and non-toxic: Essential oils are derived from plants and are free of harsh chemicals commonly found in commercial bug repellents.
- Environmentally friendly: Unlike chemical-based repellents, essential oils are biodegradable and do not harm the environment.
- Pleasant scents: The natural fragrances of essential oils are often more appealing than the unpleasant odors of chemical bug sprays.
- Versatility: Essential oils can be used to create a customized bug repellent blend targeting specific insects.
- Dual purpose: Many essential oils not only repel insects but also offer therapeutic benefits such as stress relief or skin care.
Most Effective Essential Oils for Bug Repellent
Not all essential oils have bug-repelling properties, but here are some of the most effective oils to ward off those pesky insects:
- Lemon Eucalyptus: This oil is derived from the lemon eucalyptus tree and has been proven to be highly effective in repelling mosquitoes.
- Citronella: Obtained from the citronella grass, this popular essential oil has long been used as an insect repellent and is especially effective against mosquitoes and flies.
- Lavender: Not only does lavender essential oil smell delightful, but it is also effective in keeping mosquitoes and flies at bay.
- Tea Tree: Known for its antiseptic properties, tea tree essential oil can also help repel ticks and ants.
- Peppermint: With its refreshing scent, peppermint oil is effective against mosquitoes, flies, and even spiders.
How to Use Essential Oils as Bug Repellent
There are several ways to use essential oils to keep bugs away:
- Diffusers: Use essential oil diffusers around your outdoor living spaces to disperse the oils into the air and keep bugs at bay.
- Body spray: Dilute essential oils with a carrier oil (such as coconut oil) and apply directly to your skin as a natural bug spray.
- Homemade candles: Incorporate essential oils into homemade candles or purchase ready-made ones infused with bug-repelling oils.
- Insect-repellent wipe: Add several drops of essential oil to a damp cloth and use it to wipe down surfaces or skin for an on-the-go solution.
Essential Oils Bug Repellent Example:
Create Your Own Essential Oil
Here’s a simple and effective essential oil bug repellent spray recipe to try out:
- 20 drops of lemon eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops of citronella essential oil
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 4 oz. of witch hazel or water
- 1 oz. of carrier oil (e.g. coconut oil, sweet almond oil)
1. Combine all the essential oils in a small glass bowl.
2. Mix in the witch hazel or water.
3. Add the carrier oil to the mixture, stirring well to blend.
4. Pour the mixture into a glass spray bottle.
5. Shake well before use and apply as needed.
Now that you've immersed yourself in the world of essential oils as bug repellents, it's time to put your knowledge into practice and create your own natural solutions. Feel free to share this article with friends and family or explore our other comprehensive guides on Oshu Oils. And, of course, don't forget to check out our exquisite range of essential oils to help you embark on your bug-free journey.