Are you tired of pesky mosquitoes disrupting your peaceful evenings spent outdoors? Traditional mosquito repellents can be harsh and full of chemicals, which is why many people are seeking natural alternatives for repelling these annoying insects. In this article, we will explore the power of essential oils as a natural mosquito repellent, as well as share a simple recipe so you can enjoy a mosquito-free environment.
Mosquito Repellent Essential Oils Recipe Table of Contents
Why Essential Oils?
Essential oils have been used for centuries for their medicinal properties, and their natural ability to repel insects is an added bonus. Many essential oils contain chemical compounds that are effective at keeping mosquitoes at bay. Additionally, essential oils are environmentally friendly, making them a safe and sustainable choice for your home and family.
The Best Mosquito-Repelling Essential Oils
Some essential oils are more effective at repelling mosquitoes than others. Here are the top five essential oils known for their mosquito-repellent properties:
1. Lemon Eucalyptus: This oil is one of the most effective natural mosquito repellents. It contains the compound PMD (para-menthane-3,8-diol), which has been proven to be as effective as DEET, a commonly used chemical in insect repellents.
2. Peppermint: Not only does it have a fresh, minty scent, but peppermint oil is also effective at keeping mosquitoes away due to its high menthol content.
Create Your Own Essential Oil
3. Lavender: Lavender oil is a popular choice for its calming scent and relaxation properties. It also works well as a mosquito repellent thanks to its high levels of linalool, a compound known to repel mosquitoes and other insects.
4. Tea Tree: Also known as melaleuca oil, tea tree oil is well-known for its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, and it is also effective at repelling mosquitoes.
5. Geranium: Geranium oil has a sweet, floral scent and contains geraniol, a compound known to repel mosquitoes and other insects.
Mosquito Repellent Essential Oils Recipe
Now that you know which essential oils are most effective for repelling mosquitoes, let's put them to use with a simple recipe. This homemade mosquito repellent not only keeps mosquitoes at bay but also has a pleasant smell and is safe for the whole family (excluding infants and pregnant/nursing women).
- 10 drops Lemon Eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- 10 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- 10 drops Geranium essential oil
- 2 oz (60ml) witch hazel
- 2 oz (60ml) distilled water or carrier oil (i.e. fractionated coconut oil)
1. In a 4 oz (120ml) dark glass spray bottle, add all essential oils.
2. Add witch hazel and distilled water or carrier oil to the spray bottle.
3. Screw on the spray top, and shake well to mix everything together.
4. Before use, shake the bottle vigorously to ensure the oils are well mixed. Spray the mosquito repellent blend onto clothing or exposed skin (taking care to avoid eyes and mouth).
Mosquito Repellent Essential Oils Recipe Example:
Imagine a summer evening spent outdoors with friends and family, enjoying a warm breeze and fragrant aromas from the garden. However, the presence of mosquitoes threatens to ruin your relaxing evening. Instead of reaching for harsh chemical repellents, you grab your homemade mosquito repellent made from Oshu Oils essential oils. With a few sprays on your clothing and skin, you can now enjoy your mosquito-free environment and the soothing scents of lavender, lemon eucalyptus, and geranium.
So, there you have it - a simple, effective, and natural solution to keep mosquitoes at bay. With Oshu Oils essential oils, you can enjoy the outdoors without worrying about pesky mosquitoes. Be sure to share this article with friends and family who may also benefit from mosquito repellent essential oils. Explore more guides on Oshu Oils' blog for insights into the wonderful world of essential oils and aromacology, and enhance your life with the Oshu Oils range of essential oils. Happy mosquito-free living!